Thursday, November 17, 2011

Visiting Don Bosco schools in Rio


Hugs with the sweetest kids on earth :-)

Group pic with the whole class

Rio is not only Corcovado, Pao de Azucar and Copacabana. Rio is also „famous“ for his many favelas, where hundreds of thousands of people live. During on the my last day in Rio, I had the opportunity to visit two Don Bosco Centers and have a closer look at one of the biggest favelas, the Jacarezinho. I spent the morning in the Youth Center of Riachuelo. I met manye children and youngsters there, playing football, table tannis, capoeira, etc. They all live in the favela, which I visited in the afternoon. Walking there with a Salesian priest (it is too dangerous to go there alone, he said), we reached the other Don Bosco center, a school right in the middle of Favela. There I spent 2 hours visiting all the classes and I was welcomed by the children like a rock-star: everybody hugged me, wanted to make pictures with me, asked me many questions and even autographs. And manye said with my new haircut I look like Neymar, a famous brazilian young football player, star of the moment.
What a fun and at the same time touching experience! I promised them to visit them again and I want to keep my promise in June 2012, when I plan to be back in Rio for at least one month.

No comments:

Post a Comment